Delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) has become a breakout star in the hemp industry, giving people access to the benefits of THC in a wide range of products in a manner that is more accessible than traditional delta-9 THC products (with the exception of hemp-derived delta-9 goods). However, those who are new to delta-8 might not know very much about it, which can make understanding these products and using them confidently that much more difficult.
Explore the rich history, potential benefits, and various applications of delta-8 THC, along with important legal considerations and frequently asked questions here with FOCL! FOCL is dedicated to helping you unlock the wellness benefits of hemp while educating you on all of the essential compounds in the space. We offer a wide range of CBD and THC products to help you target various aspects of your overall health like sleep, relaxation, and relief from feelings of discomfort.
All of our products are formulated with organic, non-GMO hemp and additional ingredients like powerful adaptogens and healing botanicals. We take pride in the quality of all of our offerings, making sure that everything is GMP-compliant and third-party tested to guarantee purity and potency. Better yet, we offer free shipping on all orders, 15% off of your order when you sign up for our newsletter, and $5 when you create a FOCL Rewards account to take advantage of our exciting offers and benefits.
The Definition: Delta-8 THC is a minor cannabinoid discovered in the Cannabis Sativa plant. Though not abundantly found in nature, through synthetic processes using CBD and hemp, its concentrations can be amplified, leading to a diverse market of delta-8 THC products offering elevated levels of this intriguing cannabinoid.
The Process: Delta-8 THC, while naturally occurring in trace amounts in the cannabis plant, is often produced in larger quantities through the manipulation of CBD and hemp in lab settings. The resultant delta-8 THC is then incorporated into various consumer products such as gummies, brownies, tinctures, joints, raw flowers, and delta-8 extracts.
How To Take: The versatility of delta-8 THC enables consumers to select their preferred method of consumption. It can be found in edible forms like gummies and brownies, tinctures, or even in its raw form as flowers and extracts.
History: Delta-8 THC's history is deeply intertwined with scientific discovery and innovation. First mentioned in 1941 by American organic chemist Roger Adams, delta-8 THC has come a long way in cannabis research.1 The real breakthrough came when Israeli organic chemist Raphael Mechoulam achieved the total synthesis of delta-8 THC in 1965, laying the groundwork for understanding the full pharmacology of delta-8 and other cannabinoids. Today, delta-8 THC is recognized for its therapeutic potential, managing issues like anxiety and pain without a strong psychotropic effect.
The Breakdown: Delta-8 THC
Delta-8 THC is a cannabinoid that has gained attention for its potential therapeutic benefits. Unlike delta-9 THC, the commonly known psychoactive compound found in marijuana, delta-8 THC is said to offer a milder psychoactive effect.
What Sets Delta-8 THC Apart?
Just like cannabidiol (CBD), delta-8 THC offers potential health benefits, but with a subtle high that is less intense than delta-9 THC. The primary benefits may include anxiety reduction, pain relief, improved sleep, and appetite stimulation.
While it's a promising compound, it's crucial to remember that the effects of delta-8 THC can vary from person to person, and it's always best to start with a small dose and increase gradually as necessary.
- Decarboxylation: This is the primary method used to extract delta-8 THC from the hemp plant. In this process, heat is applied to the plant material to convert CBDa into CBD, which then undergoes a chemical reaction to form delta-8 THC.2
The Legality of Delta-8 THC
Navigating the legality of delta-8 THC can be difficult, given that it's dictated by both federal and state laws in the United States. Federally, the 2018 Farm Bill technically legalized delta-8 THC derived from hemp. State laws vary, and as of September 2021, several states have explicitly outlawed delta-8 THC. Therefore, before purchasing or using any Delta-8 THC products, it's crucial to research and stay updated on the specific local, state, and federal regulations to ensure legal compliance.3
Why Choose Delta-8 THC?
Here are some of the potential reasons why someone might opt for Delta-8 THC over other cannabinoids:
- Anxiety Reduction: Delta-8 THC has shown potential as an anti-anxiety agent. It interacts with the cannabinoid receptors in the brain to induce a calming effect, potentially reducing anxiety levels.
- Pain Relief: Delta-8 THC possesses inherent antinociceptive properties, which may block the perception of pain from sensory neurons. Its anti-inflammatory characteristics might also effectively reduce swelling and the associated pain.
- Improved Sleep: Delta-8 THC may function as a mild sedative, potentially enhancing sleep quality.
- Appetite Stimulation: Delta-8 THC might stimulate the endocannabinoid system to enhance appetite, a potential benefit for individuals with decreased appetite due to medical conditions or medications.
How long does delta-8 last?
The effects of delta-8 can last anywhere from two to eight hours, depending on the individual and the amount consumed. Generally, the effects will peak within the first hour and gradually decrease in intensity over the course of the next few hours.
Will delta-8 show up on a drug test?
Delta-8 is an analogue of delta-9 THC, which is the psychoactive compound found in cannabis that is typically tested for in drug screenings. While sources will vary on advice, delta-8 is not typically tested for in drug tests, so it might now show up and result in a positive test result. That being said, if you’re uncertain, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
What is the safest way to consume delta-8?
The safest way to consume delta-8 is to start with a low dose and gradually increase the amount until you find the dose that works best for you. It is also important to purchase products from a reputable source to ensure the quality and safety of the product.
How do you get delta-8 out of your system in a week?
Delta-8 is metabolized by the body in a similar way to delta-9 THC, so it is likely that it will take about a week to clear from your system. However, the exact amount of time will vary depending on the individual and the amount consumed. You can work on ridding it from your system by drinking plenty of water, exercising, eating healthy, and avoiding further use.
Can you take delta-8 every day?
It is not recommended to take delta-8 every day, as it can cause tolerance to build up over time. It is best to take delta-8 on an as-needed basis and to cycle off of it periodically to avoid developing a tolerance.
- Adams, R., Cain, C. K., McPhee, W. D., & Wearn, R. B. (1941). Structure of Cannabidiol. XII. Isomerization to Tetrahydrocannabinols1. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 63(8), 2209–2213. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01853a052
- Chan-Hosokawa, A., Nguyen, L., Lattanzio, N., & Adams, W. R. (2021). Emergence of Delta-8 Tetrahydrocannabinol in DUID Investigation Casework: Method Development, Validation and Application. Journal of Analytical Toxicology, 46(1), 1–9. https://doi.org/10.1093/jat/bkab029
- Are Delta 8 THC and Delta 9 THC Legal? What States Don’t Allow? (n.d.). Www.oflaherty-Law.com. Retrieved May 29, 2023, from https://www.oflaherty-law.com/learn-about-law/are-delta-8-thc-and-delta-9-thc-legal-what-states-dont-allow#:~:text=Delta%208%20THC%20is%20federally